CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The things I am finding out about my daughter!

Hi Everyone,

So Ella and I have settled into a routine schedule once we get home -play, dinner, shower, walk the dog, movie/bed time. Tonight however, my lovely daughter says to me as I am getting the water the right temperature for the shower "Ma, look at this". I look down to see my daughter doing the splits! I say, "Wow, that can't feel good on the tile" and she says "watch this" and proceeds to do the splits with her legs horizontally and bends completely forward until her head touches the ground. Now, if you know anything about our family, we are as flexible as a steel rod. I was not sure what to make of her performance and then burst out laughing when she proceeded to put her feet behind her head!!! What? My sister Julie who is an OT noticed Ella's flexibility but this was something to see her perform and show off. Guess we are headed to tumbling class to see if she will enjoy putting her flexibility to the test.
We had curriculum night at our school this week and Ella remains very happy about her class and teacher, and I couldn't be more thankful. She still says "yeah school" when we turn on to the street that takes us to her school in the morning. Ella is doing really good at keeping it together when I pick her up now and usually can't wait to show me her new band-aid from her day's activities. It is just so wonderful to see her come out of her shell and feel more comfortable and safe. My wonderful cousin Jolene sent me a book for Ella entitled Motherbridge of Love. To all my adoptive friends, if you have an older child this is truly a must read!! I have always talked to Ella about her China family and her American family and have even drawn pictures to encourage her to talk about her foster mom and her new mom, however Ella never seemed to want to explore this or talk about it. My Aunt Anne even sent us this wonderful book that is written with Ella's name explaining her adoption story, but it still seemed that Ella could not grasp the concept. (My daughter was not told she was going to be adopted according to her). When Ella saw this book and looked at the pages she wanted me to read it over and over again. The illustrations are amazing and for whatever reason, the two Mom concept seemed to click for my daughter. It helps that the pictures of the American Mom and little girl are doing things that Ella and I do together. I have seen a marked difference in her physical contact and just plain silliness since we have read the story, and I am so happy that she was able to derive some comfort from seeing what I have been telling her all along be put in story book form. Now, if only I could get through the whole book without bawling. Poor Ella, she must think, "Geez Mom, I want you to read it again, but get a grip" :)!!! Hope you are all doing well and staying healthy!

3 comments:

  1. That book sounds wonderful! I'm so happy it's helping her understand all these changes. I can't believe that it has only been 5 weeks and look at how far we all have come!
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been curious about how/when/if the kids are told they will be adopted. Mei Lynn had all her pictures with her, but did they tell her these people were going to be her new family in America? I wish she spoke English so we could find out... Great news about Ella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! She's got some Connolly genes, but ballerinas we are not! Pic with Mom is cute. Thanks for keeping up with this as I love to see her smile too. besos

    ReplyDelete